A634.9.4.RB- A Reflection of Our Learning



Select three key lessons you take away from the course.

Probably the most important aspects that I take away from this class were through the shared experiences. Ethics can be confusing at times but yet is also fabricated out of every facet of human interaction. Throughout this class I’ve learned that people need to be more self-aware of their actions in order to honor both morality and ethics. The numerous dilemmas presented in this course allowed for a careful dissection and fullest understanding of many different perceptions. If we understand better then we can act better. Critical thinking is not the ability to have creative thought for which most people think, but rather it’s a perceptual understanding that respects all facets that affect the sender.

Share if your perception of ethics has changed.

For me personally I came into this class with the perception of ethics being how actions are viewed externally. I still stand firm on these beliefs but now have a better perception of how others view them. Paying respect to the myriad of lenses really helps the individual to navigate hybrid dilemmas for which I refer to as wicked problems. Egoism is one area that I initially took with negative connotation but have realized in-fact it’s not. Just because you have self-interest in some form or facet isn’t a bad thing at all. No one can pinpoint why we have certain callings in life, and who knows maybe it’s a genetics thing? Fulfilling those desires that makes you the best you that can also operate at its fullest potential benefits many different facets.

Has this course expanded your perspective on ethics as an individual, in an organization, and in society? If so, how. If not, why not?

I think at a personal level that the differences between a consequentialist and deontologist will help me to have a better understanding as to why people rationalize actions differently. If I’m trying to justify actions to a deontologist when I have clearly operated in the gray about a given situation then it is likely that I’m not going to sell it. As far as my behaviors in society goes, the principles of relativism help to explain that ethics aren’t just defined by our borders, but rather certain societies within can have different perceptions of ethics. I sort-of find a middle ground between the individual and society aspects of a given organization through pragmatism. This is where you have to take your individual and societal norms and make them both more respectful and professional. Respectful by means of personal interactions, and professional by paying respect to your organization’s vision.

Provide the grade you feel you deserve and why?

            For me it’s hard to quantify a grade in this class because I think you can’t think quantitatively about it but rather qualitatively, which is harder to define. How do you as a teacher really know that I have taken anything away from this course except through my ability to write and convey that message? How do you know that I will seek to honor what has been presented here in my actual behaviors with respect to the profession? I guess the best metric you could use needs to be seen from a level of participation. Did I participate and really seek to challenge others which allows me to learn in return? I know I feel like I really challenged both myself and others to think about the process in which we perceive, which wasn’t easy, but shows that I care. This course was probably my favorite thus far in formal education because it wasn’t all about content learning but rather experiential learning. I’m not one to brag but I think I did a very good job with providing meaningful content but maybe not the best at scholarly writing that provides reinforcement or contrasting views. So over all I’d say I’m at about 95.33486% (ish) Thanks again for all your candor and meaningful insight, your effort undoubtedly shows!

References

LaFollette, H. (2007).  The Practice of Ethics.  Malden, MA: Blackwell.

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A634.6.3.RB - What are Virtues

A634.7.4.RB- Egoism: Psychological and Moral

A634.3.4.RB - The Harder They Fall